Melbourne Cup must-haves
The Melbourne Cup is just around the corner and Australians are gearing up for a ritual almost as iconic as the great race itself; their Cup Day BBQ.
Preparing for Cup Day can be hectic, so we’ve created a list of race-day essentials and ideas to help make your day a winner.
Here’s our list of Melbourne Cup Day staples your BBQ cannot go without...
In 5th place: Finish your day with a sweet treat
An on-the-nose, photo-finish win is pretty sweet, but closing off a long day with a celebratory dessert is even sweeter.Short on time? Pick up one of our delicious ready-to-eat desserts for your BBQ; like our Apple Crumble or Sticky Date Pudding!The best part? They’re pre-made and mess-free - now that’s a Cup Day essential. Available from selected IGA and Foodworks stores.
In 4th place: Play Racing Lingo Bingo
Want to know how to spice up your day in the lead up to the cup? Play ‘Racing Lingo Bingo’!
- Begin by putting together a list of popular racing terminology and lingo - click here for some inspiration!
- Print off some simple bingo templates and pass them around to your guests; encouraging them to fill their card with different racing terms.
- During each race, play bingo as the commentator's reel off racing terms. The first person to get 4 in a row and yell out ‘lingo bingo’ wins!
In 3rd place: Summer staple salads
Salads like coleslaw, potato salad and pasta salad are quintessentially Australian and are a Cup Day BBQ must-have!
Don’t have time to create a super salad? We have you covered with our Simply Tasty ready-made salads range! Pick up yours online or at your local IGA/Foodworks today.
In 2nd place: A cup-day cocktail
What’s a good Melbourne Cup BBQ without a few fresh and fruity drinks?
Try the Pony Tail cocktail, a sweet recipe served in Flemmington’s The Park:
- Add 45ml of gin
- 15ml of lemon juice
- 10ml of sugar syrup
- Top with ice and soda water
- Finish with a dash of raspberry cordial
- Garnish with strawberries and serve!
Or maybe a fresh Down the Stretch Sparkling mocktail jug; created by A Saucy Kitchen and affectionately named by us!
- Combine one cucumber (peeled and sliced into thirds)
- 1 cup of mint leaves
- 1 cup of lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 45ml of sugar syrups
- Add above ingredients into a blender and process until smooth
- Strain mixture into a pitcher jug with ice
- Add 3 cups of soda water
- Garnish with cucumber and serve!
In 1st place: A Cup sweepstake
An oldie but a goodie. A classic sweepstake is the ultimate Cup Day BBQ activity! Don’t forget to download your cup sweep from Saturday the 3rd of November 2019 right here.